From companies who have "boxes of old stuff" to those with well managed heritage archives and collections, I offer four useful services.
- Documentation: Auditing, researching and recording the collection
- Exhibitions: Designing exhibitions and displays to reflect aspects of your company's history, such as mergers, successes, staff or forward plans
- Care of your collections: Preserving your collections for the future with careful display, monitoring, emergency planning, storage and packing
- Strategies: working with your marketing teams to creating heritage strategies and leveraging the collection for profit
I offer a free consultation at which we would discuss the potential project. These are dictated by the size and complexity of the collection, your organisation's unique needs and your budget and time constraints.
Example: Everybody Inc has a 150 year history. They have a few rooms of 'stuff in boxes', but nobody knows what's there. The CEO would like some of the history on display and the rest assessed and either disposed of or thrown out. After initial discussions, I would assess the collection, work with staff to dispose of unwanted or unidentified items, choose items and themes for display, create word and image panels, install an exhibition, document the collection in its entirety and store correctly that which is not on display.
Example: Anyone Ltd would like a photo history on their website and on roll up banners. I will choose narrative themes, write wording, choose photographs, create artwork for roll up banners and write a history of the company illustrated by the photos for the website.
Example: EveryCo. has a well-documented collection but doesn't know what to do with it. I can assess the collection and advise on how it can make money for the company, how it can help to raise the company's profile and how it can be used in marketing campaigns.
Uses of company collections
WHY CHOOSE THE COMPANY CURATOR?
- Because I'm a hybrid! Like a company archivist, I advise on papers, books and documents, and I'm also a museum curator -an expert on the care, storage and display of any other items in your collection.
- Your archives and collections are a unique, profitable asset and I can help the company benefit from that.
- I have 21 years' experience working with collections and exhibitions. I love what I do, and this comes across in my work.
- I offer all companies a free, no-obligation consultation.
- There aren't any hidden surprises - we'll work out an upfront project cost.
- I can connect you with other industry experts should you need them.
- I work to exceed industry standards set by the Arts Council England, International Council of Museums and the British Archives Council.
- The Company Curator is a fully insured Limited Company, so you're in safe hands.
Who else uses their company history as a strategic asset?
You won't be alone if you decide to use your company history. Here are a few others who do just that - some have amazing archives and some have public museums:
Boots ~ M&S ~ John Lewis ~ Waitrose ~ Wedgwood ~ Rothschild Foundation ~ Thomas Cook ~ Lloyds ~ Barclays ~ Nationwide ~ HSBC ~ Guinness ~ The Hudson Bay Company ~ Wells-Fargo ~ Ikea ~ Cadbury ~ Hershey ~ Harley-Davidson ~ Porsche ~ Levi-Strauss ~ McDonalds ~ Intel ~ Transport for London ~ Mercedes-Benz ~ Rolls Royce ~ Mazda ~ Honda ~ Toyota ~ Volkswagen ~ Mitsubishi ~ Motorola ~ Shisheido ~ Godiva ~ Gieves and Hawkes ~ Burtons ~ Johnnie Walker ~ British Telecom ~ BP ~ Yves St Laurent ~ Gucci ~ Missoni ~Christian Louboutin ~ Dior ~ Chanel
You might not be ready to open a museum yet, but there's no reason that you can't benefit from your collections in the same way as these famous companies have. Click here for an external link to a table of FTSE 100 companies with professionally managed archives.